Guyaholic


A surprisingly easy-going and relaxing book!

I brought along Guyaholic to the beach when I was leaving for Kuantan Beach last week because I needed something light and easy for the relaxing holiday ahead. I was in the midst of reading Summer's End but somehow decided to take a break from it since Summer's End is quite a heavy reading material. So an hour after I checked into the resort, I picked up Guyaholic and went to the beach. And there I sat by the ocean for the next hour as the story captured me into another world - the world of V Valentine.

V Valentine is the greatest playgirl in her community. Her beauty and intelligence give her the upper hand when it comes to hookups with guys. She gets to choose who to hookup with and how long. And thus far, she has only been with the same one guy for two weeks - never more. She simply enjoys bouncing from one guy to another, just like her mom does with her boyfriends. However, everything changes in a hockey game when a hockey puck shoots towards her and she landed in the lap of Sam Almond. She has thought that it would be just another fortnight fling, but relationship takes on a new definition with Sam. And when she screws up between them, she doesn't know what to do next but to run as far as she could from the one she loves.

Guyaholic may be just another high school love story. But with Carolyn Mackler's trademark blend of humour, Guyaholic turns out to be quite an enjoyable read even to the adults. With each page, I am reminded of how it was like growing up and entering adulthood. The problems which V Valentine faced in the story are incredibly realistic and relate-able.

At the end of the day, I finished the novel learning the one thing which I have learnt so long ago: That you can only run away from your feelings for as long as it takes before you must deal with it (somehow). And that makes Guyaholic one of the best books I have ever read this year.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2007
A Freak's Review of Cybermate's Dungeon.

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP